Before Bankruptcy: Credit Counseling Certificate
Before you file for a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy, a Credit Counseling for Bankruptcy Certificate is required by law. Non-profit Consumer Education Services, Inc. (CESI) is approved by the Executive Office of U.S. Trustees and Bankruptcy Administrator to issue credit counseling course certificates in compliance with the Bankruptcy Code.
Upon completion of the counseling, your Credit Counseling Certificate will be emailed to you and/or your bankruptcy attorney to be included with your bankruptcy petition.
Getting Your Credit Counseling For Bankruptcy Certificate:
- Must be completed within 180 days before filing for bankruptcy
- 60-90 minutes in length and can be completed online or by phone in English or Spanish
- Personalized counseling session includes budget analysis, financial management, and explores possible alternatives to bankruptcy
- Includes a one-on-one session with a certified counselor and a customized action plan
- Same low price for single or joint filers (never any hidden fees)
- Live counselor support Monday through Saturday
- Fast certificate delivery to you and/or your bankruptcy attorney
What You’ll Need:
- Your income and deductions
- Your expenses
- All debts owed
- All assets and property
If you have ALREADY FILED for bankruptcy and completed the credit counseling course, you will need to complete the second required course, Debtor Education.